— Orchid's victory quote
Orchid (also called B. Orchid or Black Orchid in tribute to her dark beauty) is a playable female fighter and a major signature character of the Killer Instinct games, having featured prominently in every installment of the series to date. A secret agent and highly trained assassin who boasts mysterious powers, Orchid was dispatched by a shadowy organization to uncover the truth behind Ultratech's activities. In Killer Instinct (2013), she's a rogue counterintelligence operative who has embarked on a personal crusade against the megacorporation, and founded an underground resistance movement known as the Disavowed. Along with her younger half-brother, Jago, Orchid is one of the main protagonists of the Killer Instinct franchise.
In the original Killer Instinct (1994), Orchid is an athletic and dark-haired young woman wearing a green leotard that has the word "HOT" written on the side in yellow letters. The ends of her leotard feature a yellow lining around her thighs, and she wears green gloves and ankle-length, high-heeled boots. The boots also have yellow cut-offs and show extra weapons strapped to them. Orchid has a green and yellow headband wrapped around her head and wields two plasma-based eskrima sticks.
In Killer Instinct 2, Orchid had a slight redesign, with her leotard now possessing holes on the sides of her chest and cutting off at the 'v' between her legs, her boots extending all the way up to her thighs, and her eskrima sticks being replaced with electrified tonfas. She also has a pair of circular earrings.
In Killer Instinct (2013), she receives a complete design overhaul but in comparison to many of the other characters she retains a design largely similar to her original appearance. Orchid now has a pair of nightvision goggles atop her head, a green armored bustier over a white top, green shorts with a belt around them, black cut-off gloves while on her left upper arm she has a green strap of cloth wrapped around her bicep, bandages wrapped around her wrists and a mini-computer on her right wrist. She wears a single shin-guard on her right knee along with another strap of cloth, and ankle high, high-heeled combat boots. Orchid once more uses electronic eskrima sticks in battle.
Orchid's retro costume closely mirrors her original 1994 appearance but also mixes in minor elements from her KI2 outfit, such as boots and a pair of circular earrings which are much bigger than she had in the previous game.
— Orchid's story mode description
A steadfast and intrepid servicewoman, Orchid's life changed dramatically when she was sent to investigate a RUMINT about the sinister ambitions and sprawling web of influence of the supposedly defunct Ultratech. Quickly uncovering that the corporation not only remains active but in fact has never been as powerful, Orchid becomes targeted by Ultratech's enigmatic CEO, ARIA, after she gathers information that threatens to expose the full extent of the company's influence over governments, mass media, financial institutions and the military-industrial complex.
Soon disavowed by her own organization and labelled a dangerous rogue, the Black Orchid responds by making Ultratech's smears her own, and establishes an underground spy network of agents who were similarly brought to ruin by the megacorporation. Bereft of official support, under severe psychological strain and in constant danger, ARIA expected Orchid to falter. But the secret agent instead embarks on a crusade against Ultratech, and starts building out the Disavowed into a fully-fledged paramilitary resistance movement, bent on strategically sabotaging ARIA's operations across the world.
Pitted in a contest of wills against an overwhelmingly powerful enemy, Orchid becomes increasingly volatile, until she is reunited with her long-lost half-brother, Jago; with the siblings resolving to support each other in their struggles, no matter the outcome.
Trained for most of her life as an elite field agent for covert operations, black ops and wetworks by the Special Warfare Department of the US military, the mysterious and beautiful woman known as the Black Orchid combines the qualities of a special forces operative and an assassin, rendering her deceptively lethal. Orchid fights in a military CQC-style that emphasizes legwork, grappling and ground control techniques in order to subdue her victims, and utilizes various crowd control weaponry, such as stun batons and flashbang grenades, to control and disorient her mark before taking it down.
Because of a highly classified government experiment that has been performed on her paternal grandmother, the Black Orchid is capable of summoning a cat-like manifestation of energy (which she affectionately calls the "firecat") that obeys her every command and which assaults anything that's threatening her. Orchid has been known to assume this cat-like form of energy herself as well, implying the "firecat" in actuality is the extension of her own life force.
Killer Instinct (1994) Edit
B. Orchid is a secret agent, sent by an unknown group to investigate the mysterious disappearances that surround the Killer Instinct tournament. Her true identity and abilities are shrouded in secrecy.
Extended Story Edit
For many years, Black Orchid has been amongst the code-named elite of a professional spy organization working for the greater good of society. Her past remains hidden, including some things of which even she is unaware; she won't find out for some time yet that Jago is actually her brother. Realizing that clear evidence of Ultratech's crimes and dark ambition is proving impossible to come by, she eventually decides that the only way into the company is also the most dangerous: straight through the open front door. Once her superiors are persuaded of the necessity, she goes ahead and enters the tournament.
Escaping unscathed with vital information about the corrupt future plans of Ultratech, Orchid rushes back to report. Informing her superiors of Ultratech's evil intentions, they can now act in bringing about the destruction of the corruption presiding there.
- Main article: Chicago Rooftop
- Lasaken: Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, Any Punch
- Flick Flak: Charge Back Then Forward And Any Kick
- Fire Cat: Charge Back Then Forward And Any Punch
- Spinning Sword: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back Plus Fierce Punch
- Ichi: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back Plus Medium Punch Or Quick Punch
- Combo Breaker: Charge Back Then Forward And Any Kick
- Ultra Combo: Back, Forward, Medium Punch
- End Special 1: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Fierce Punch, Fierce Punch
- End Special 2: Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, Any Punch, Fierce Punch
- End Special 3: Charge Back Then Forward And Any Kick, Medium Kick
- No Mercy 1: [Outside Sweep] Back, Back, Forward, Forward, Quick Punch
- No Mercy 2: [Stand Close] Down, Forward, Back Plus Quick Kick [Press Forward Kick To Stomp On Frog]
- Humiliation: Forward, Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Back Plus Fierce Punch
Killer Instinct 2 Edit
Extended Story Edit
The lethal secret agent remains as enigmatic as always. Had she been caught and detained in her infiltration of Ultratech, the authorities would eventually have exposed her as a valued asset of an international spy organization. However, Orchid's role in the tournament and ultimate victory over the warlord Eyedol yielded some very unexpected results, leaving not only her but most of Ultratech trapped two millennia in the past with rather more urgent concerns on their hands.
Kill Sabrewulf, don't kill Jago: Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. Cursing Orchid as he is dying, Gargos reveals that Jago is her brother and they'd both soon be dead. Separated at birth, the orphaned brother and sister are reunited. A new fighting team has been formed.
Kill Sabrewulf and Jago: Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. With his dying breath, Gargos curses Orchid to the same fate that had befallen her brother Jago. She returns home, but her victory is hollow. For the rest of her life, she mourns the loss of the brother she never knew.
Don't kill Sabrewulf or Jago: Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. Cursing Orchid as he is dying, Gargos reveals that Jago is her brother and they'd both soon be dead. Reaching beyond the grave, Gargos possesses Sabrewulf and attacks. But Jago slays the wolf and the siblings return home to a new life.
Don't kill Sabrewulf, kill Jago: Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. With his dying breath Gargos curses Orchid to the same fate that had befallen her brother Jago, his spirit possessing Sabrewulf in a last desperate act. Gargos attacks. Taken by surprise, Orchid falls and Gargos has his vengeance.
KI Gold Ending: Amazed that her victory in the 1st tournament hadn't destroyed Ultratech, Orchid returned, but this time there can be no doubt, Ultratech has been destroyed, good has triumphed. But, in her heart Orchid knows this is not the last time she will be needed, for wherever there is good, evil must also exist, it is only a matter of time before she must return.
- Main article: Helipad
- Flick Flack: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Any Kick [Great Opener]
- Ichi: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Medium Punch [Great Opener]
- Tiger Slide: Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Kick [Great Opener]
- Tonfa Fire: Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, Any Punch
- Fake Tonfa Fire: Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, Quick Kick
- San: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Fierce Punch
- Air-Buster: Forward, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Kick
- Air Double: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Any Kick
- Throw: Forward, Fierce Punch
- Reverse Throw: Back, Fierce Punch [In An Opponent's Throw Move]
- Parry Move: Back Plus Hold Quick Punch
- Pressure Move: Forward, Fierce Kick
- Combo Breaker: Forward, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Punch And Kick
- Ultra Combo Breaker: Down, Quarter Back, Back, Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, *Fierce Kick [Requires 6 Super Bar Blocks]
- Mini-Ultra Combo: Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Fierce Punch
- Ultra Combo: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Quick Kick
- Ultimate Combo: Forward, Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Back, Forward, Fierce Punch
- 0-Combo Ultimate: Back, Down, Quarter Back, Medium Kick
- Super Ichi: Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Back, Fierce Punch [Requires 3 Super Bar Blocks, Linker]
- Fire Cat: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Forward, Medium Kick [Requires 3 Super Bar Blocks, Linker]
- Super Flak: Down, Quarter Back, Back, Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward. Forward, Fierce Kick [Requires 6 Super Bar Blocks]
- End Special 1: Forward, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Kick, Fierce Kick
- End Special 2: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Any Kick, Fierce Kick
- End Special 3: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Fierce Punch, Fierce Puncj
- End Special 4: Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Kick, Quick Kick
- End Special 5: Down, Quarter Forward. Forward. Quick Punch
- Ultimate: Hold Back, Half Circle Back, Medium Kick
- Ultimate 2: Half Circle Front, High Kick (Killer Instinct: Gold only)
Killer Instinct (2013) Edit
Paranoid, unstable, and disavowed from her agency, Orchid is determined to carry out her crusade against the dismantled organization, Ultratech. In war-torn Eastern Europe, she sets out to build an underground network that will prove Ultratech is still active.
Extended Story Edit
The Firecat’s Summoning:
- Main article: The Firecat's Summoning
Spare Sadira, ULTRA Fulgore: Gasping and defeated, Sadira reveals the identity of the one who sanctioned her: ARIA leads a reborn Ultratech. With renewed purpose, Orchid becomes a mercenary angel of vengeance, bent on burning Ultratech to the ground.
Spare Fulgore, ULTRA Sadira: Branded a rogue and psychotic, Orchid leaves behind a wake of death and terror in her single-minded campaign against Ultratech. As others are drawn to her cause, Orchid's network becomes an increasingly unstable and deadly global force to be reckoned with.
ULTRA Both Sadira and Fulgore: With only personal conviction to maintain her crusade against Ultratech, Orchid nearly falters-- until she is again reunited with her brother, Jago. Each grappling with inner demons, they are strengthened by mutual cooperation, resolved to aid each other to the end.
Shadow Lords Edit
An Uneasy Alliance
(before fighting Sadira)
Orchid has never been one to leave things half-done, and finishing off Ultratech's assassin is an itch she's been waiting to scratch for far too long.
- Main article: Rebel Outpost
The rebel outpost is similar in theme to B. Orchid's Helipad stage from Killer Instinct 2. During an Ultra Combo, the apartment building in the background will be demolished by army helicopters, who demolish it with a missile barrage. If both characters remain idle on this stage for a while, a remix of Orchid's classic theme, "K.I. Feeling", will begin to play in the background.
Combo Trait - Double Linkers: Ichi Ni San, when used as a linker, can be performed twice.
Instinct Mode - Cat's Call: Orchid calls her fire cat as the projectile to attack her opponent, leading to some unblockable mix-ups; the fire cat will no longer be used as a projectile after the Instinct Mode is finished, which she can turn into a fire cat of her own.
- Danger Zone
- Flick Flack: A multi-hitting handstand kick.
- Ichi Ni San: A quick attack with her batons.
- 1st Hit:
- 2nd Hit:
- 3rd Hit:
- Ichi Nise: Orchid can dash cancel forward.
- Blockade Runner: Fast, low hitting slide kick.
- Air Buster: A powerful knee strike which launches Orchid in the air.
- Grenade Toss: A stun grenade. Explodes after a time delay or on contact with projectiles.
- Fire Cat: Transforms into a fire cat. This attack is projectile invulnerable.
- Upper Firecat:
- Shadow Flick Flack:
- Shadow Ichi Ni San:
- Flick Flack:
- Ichi Ni San 3rd Hit:
- Blockade Runner:
- Shadow Flick Flack:
- Flick Flack:
- Ichi Ni San:
- Blockade Runner:
- Shadow Ichi Ni San:
- 26 Hits
— Orchid's intro quote
— Orchid finally tracks down ARIA
— B. Orchid, moments before performing her Ultra Combo (presumably on ARIA)
— Orchid takes on Shadow Jago during Shadow Lords
— Orchid in the Killer Instinct comics (1996)
— B. Orchid being her usual self in the middle of the End Times
— Orchid unleashing her Ichi Ni San attack
— Orchid's air leg grapple technique
— Orchid in the KI comics (1996)
— Orchid throwing her Lasaken projectile in Killer Instinct (1994)
- The lyrics to Orchid's new theme song for Killer Instinct (2013), aptly titled "Touch Me And I'll Break Your Face", appear to be directed at ARIA (the colorful line "You'll never see me coming, bitch!" in particular), as they put into words B. Orchid's fearless defiance of Ultratech.
- B. Orchid's famous "boob flash" Ultimate in Killer Instinct (1994) seems to achieve its lethality by inducing a severe case of Stendhal's syndrome in her male opponents.
- Conversely, if the opposing character is another Orchid, she'll instead stomp her heels on the ground in a fit of frustrated jealousy.
- Orchid's animation when shapeshifting into the "firecat" in the 1996 Killer Instinct 2 game was recycled from her animations in the first game; if watched closely Orchid's sprite can be briefly seen reverting to its original 1994 appearance.
- The Black Orchid's "retro" costume in KI (2013) initially was to be modeled after her looks in Killer Instinct 2, but this idea was (a bit unfortunately) shelved and the retro costume was instead based on her first 1994 arcade appearance.
- During development of the original 1994 arcade version of Killer Instinct, which at the time was under the placeholder name "Brute Force", Orchid was not yet created, and in her place were two scrapped female characters called Roxxy and Wanda.
- When heard very closely in her intro, a voice can be heard talking to and supposedly directing Orchid from her unseen communication device, saying "Orchid, confirm visual." and "What's your time estimate?". This is possibly a fellow member of her underground rebel organization, the Disavowed.
External Links Edit
- Orchid's character page at the official Killer Instinct Website
- Orchid's gameplay profile at Infil's The Complete Killer Instinct Guide
- Killer Instinct arcade playthrough (1994) - Playthrough of the original 1994 arcade game with B. Orchid
- Orchid's 1994 arcade Ultimate Combo - Showcase of Orchid's original Ultimate Combo for historical purposes
- CrazySkateNate (Orchid) vs. UA Bass (Cinder) - Video compilation of pro gamer matchups with Orchid (KI 2013)
- Orchid patch 3.7 advanced juggles (TDB Ki4Life) - Exhibition of advanced combo juggles with B. Orchid (KI 2013)
|Killer Instinct (1994) Characters|
|Playable||Jago ·Black Orchid ·TJ Combo ·Glacius ·Chief Thunder ·Sabrewulf ·Spinal ·Cinder ·Riptor ·Fulgore|
|Killer Instinct 2/Gold Characters|
|Playable||Jago ·Black Orchid ·TJ Combo ·Glacius ·Sabrewulf ·Spinal ·Fulgore ·Maya ·Kim Wu ·Tusk|
|Killer Instinct (2013) Characters|
|Season 1||Jago ·Sabrewulf ·Glacius ·Thunder ·Sadira ·Orchid ·Spinal ·Fulgore ·Shadow Jago|
|Season 2||TJ Combo ·Maya ·Kan-Ra ·Riptor ·Omen ·Aganos ·Hisako ·Cinder ·ARIA|
|Season 3||Kim Wu ·Tusk ·Arbiter ·Rash ·Mira ·Gargos ·General RAAM ·Eyedol|
|Season 3+||Kilgore ·Shin Hisako ·Eagle|