— Orchid's victory quote
Orchid (also called B. Orchid or Black Orchid in a tribute to her dark beauty) is a playable female fighter and a major signature character of the Killer Instinct games, having featured prominently in every installment of the series to date. A secret agent and highly trained assassin who boasts mysterious powers, Orchid was dispatched by a shadowy organization to uncover the truth behind Ultratech's activities. In Killer Instinct (2013), she's a rogue counterintelligence operative who has embarked on a personal crusade against the megacorporation, and founded an underground resistance movement known as the Disavowed. Along with her younger half-brother, Jago, Orchid is one of the main protagonists of the Killer Instinct franchise.
In the original Killer Instinct (1994), B. Orchid is a prime and athletic young woman with a tanned skin and raven black hair, who wears a green leotard with the word "HOT" written on each side in large yellow letters. The ends of the leotard feature a yellow lining around her thighs, and she wears green gloves and ankle-length, high-heeled boots. The boots also have yellow cut-offs and show extra weapons strapped to them. Orchid wears a green and yellow headband, and she wields two plasma-based eskrima sticks.
In Killer Instinct 2, the Black Orchid receives a (pretty) noteworthy aesthetic redesign featuring a green thong bodysuit with yellow highlights. This (thong) bodysuit shows parts of her exposed and tanned skin through a pair of oval-shaped openings on each side of her chest and abdomen, and then cuts off sharply as a "V" shape in between Orchid's legs, unapologetically revealing her (perfectly) voluptuous booty to the world. Her high-heeled boots extend right up to her thighs, and the eskrima sticks are replaced with electrified tonfas. Unique to KI2, Orchid's hairstyle is also slightly more curly and she wears a pair of large golden earrings.
In Killer Instinct (2013), B. Orchid's appearance reflects her secretive background in the US special forces while also accentuating her body's top athletic figure. Her iconic yellow headband has nightvision goggles added to it, and she features a green armored bustier over a white top, green shorts with a belt around them, black cut-off gloves while on her left upper arm she has a green strap of cloth wrapped around her biceps. Bandages are wrapped around her wrists and a mini-computer is strapped to her right wrist. She wears a single shin-guard on her right knee along with another strap of cloth, and features ankle high, high-heeled combat boots. Orchid again uses her eskrima sticks seen in the 1994 game.
Orchid's KI 2013 retro costume closely mirrors her original 1994 arcade appearance, but mixes in some minor elements from her famous KI2 outfit such as the high-heeled boots and its set of large gold earrings.
— Orchid's story mode description
A steadfast and intrepid servicewoman, B. Orchid's life changed dramatically when she was sent to investigate a RUMINT about the sinister ambitions and sprawling web of influence of the supposedly defunct Ultratech. Quickly uncovering that the notorious corporation not only remains active but in fact has never been as powerful, Orchid becomes targeted by Ultratech's enigmatic CEO, ARIA, after she gathers information that threatens to expose the full extent of the company's influence over governments, mass media, financial institutions and the military-industrial complex.
Soon disavowed by her own organization and labelled a dangerous rogue, the Black Orchid responds by making Ultratech's smears her own, and establishes an underground network of spies and agents who were similarly brought to ruin by the megacorporation. Bereft of her official support, under severe psychological strain and in constant danger, ARIA expected Orchid to falter. But the secret agent instead embarks on a crusade against Ultratech, and starts building out the Disavowed into a fully-fledged paramilitary resistance movement, bent on strategically sabotaging ARIA's operations across the world.
Pitted in a contest of wills against what often appears to be an overwhelmingly powerful enemy, Orchid becomes increasingly volatile, until she is reunited with her long-lost half-brother, Jago; with the siblings resolving to support each other in their struggles, no matter the outcome.
Abilities & Powers
Trained for most of her life as an elite field agent for covert operations, black ops and wetworks by the Special Warfare Department of the US military, the mysterious and beautiful woman known as the Black Orchid combines the qualities of a special forces operative and an assassin, rendering her a deceptively lethal and highly capable asset. Orchid fights in an advanced style of CQC that emphasizes legwork, grappling and ground control techniques in order to subdue her targets, and utilizes various forms of crowd control weaponry, such as flashbang grenades and stun batons, to disorient and control her mark before suddenly taking it down.
Because of a top secret government experiment that has been performed on her paternal grandmother, the Black Orchid is capable of summoning a cat-like manifestation of energy (which she affectionately calls the "firecat") that obeys her every command and which assaults anything that's threatening her. Orchid has been known to assume this cat-like form of pure energy herself, implying the "firecat" in actuality is the extension of her own life force.
Killer Instinct (1994)
B. Orchid is a secret agent, sent by an unknown group to investigate the mysterious disappearances that surround the Killer Instinct tournament. Her true identity and abilities are shrouded in secrecy.
For many years, Black Orchid has been amongst the code-named elite of a professional spy organization working for the greater good of society. Her past remains hidden, including some things of which even she is unaware; she won't find out for some time yet that Jago is actually her brother. Realizing that clear evidence of Ultratech's crimes and dark ambition is proving impossible to come by, she eventually decides that the only way into the company is also the most dangerous: straight through the open front door. Once her superiors are persuaded of the necessity, she goes ahead and enters the tournament.
Escaping unscathed with vital information about the corrupt future plans of Ultratech, Orchid rushes back to report. Informing her superiors of Ultratech's evil intentions, they can now act in bringing about the destruction of the corruption presiding there.
- Main article: Chicago Rooftop
Killer Instinct 2
The lethal secret agent remains as enigmatic as always. Had she been caught and detained in her infiltration of Ultratech, the authorities would eventually have exposed her as a valued asset of an international spy organization. However, Orchid's role in the tournament and ultimate victory over the warlord Eyedol yielded some very unexpected results, leaving not only her but most of Ultratech trapped two millennia in the past with rather more urgent concerns on their hands.
Kill Sabrewulf, don't kill Jago: Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. Cursing Orchid as he is dying, Gargos reveals that Jago is her brother and they'd both soon be dead. Separated at birth, the orphaned brother and sister are reunited. A new fighting team has been formed.
Kill Sabrewulf and Jago: Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. With his dying breath, Gargos curses Orchid to the same fate that had befallen her brother Jago. She returns home, but her victory is hollow. For the rest of her life, she mourns the loss of the brother she never knew.
Don't kill Sabrewulf or Jago: Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. Cursing Orchid as he is dying, Gargos reveals that Jago is her brother and they'd both soon be dead. Reaching beyond the grave, Gargos possesses Sabrewulf and attacks. But Jago slays the wolf and the siblings return home to a new life.
Don't kill Sabrewulf, kill Jago: Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. With his dying breath Gargos curses Orchid to the same fate that had befallen her brother Jago, his spirit possessing Sabrewulf in a last desperate act. Gargos attacks. Taken by surprise, Orchid falls and Gargos has his vengeance.
KI Gold Ending: Amazed that her victory in the 1st tournament hadn't destroyed Ultratech, Orchid returned, but this time there can be no doubt, Ultratech has been destroyed, good has triumphed. But, in her heart Orchid knows this is not the last time she will be needed, for wherever there is good, evil must also exist, it is only a matter of time before she must return.
- Main article: Helipad
Killer Instinct (2013)
Paranoid, unstable, and disavowed from her agency, Orchid is determined to carry out her crusade against the dismantled organization, Ultratech. In war-torn Eastern Europe, she sets out to build an underground network that will prove Ultratech is still active.
The Firecat’s Summoning:
- Main article: The Firecat's Summoning
Spare Sadira, ULTRA Fulgore: Gasping and defeated, Sadira reveals the identity of the one who sanctioned her: ARIA leads a reborn Ultratech. With renewed purpose, Orchid becomes a mercenary angel of vengeance, bent on burning Ultratech to the ground.
Spare Fulgore, ULTRA Sadira: Branded a rogue and psychotic, Orchid leaves behind a wake of death and terror in her single-minded campaign against Ultratech. As others are drawn to her cause, Orchid's network becomes an increasingly unstable and deadly global force to be reckoned with.
ULTRA Both Sadira and Fulgore: With only personal conviction to maintain her crusade against Ultratech, Orchid nearly falters-- until she is again reunited with her brother, Jago. Each grappling with inner demons, they are strengthened by mutual cooperation, resolved to aid each other to the end.
An Uneasy Alliance
- Main article: Rebel Outpost
The rebel outpost is similar in theme to B. Orchid's Helipad stage from Killer Instinct 2. During an Ultra Combo, the apartment building in the background will be destroyed by army helicopters, who demolish it with a missile barrage. If both characters remain idle on this stage for a while, a remix of Orchid's classic theme, "K.I. Feeling", will begin to play in the background.
— Orchid's Killer Instinct (2013) intro quote
— B. Orchid unleashing her Ultra Combo (presumably on ARIA's robotic form)
— Orchid takes on Shadow Jago during Shadow Lords
— B. Orchid in the Killer Instinct comics (1996)
— Orchid being her usual self in the middle of the End Times
— B. Orchid activating her Instinct Mode in KI 2013
— Orchid letting loose her "firecat" powers
— B. Orchid's air leg grapple
— Orchid throwing her "lasaken" projectile in Killer Instinct (1994)
- B. Orchid's "retro" costume in Killer Instinct (2013) initially was to be modeled after her noted looks from Killer Instinct 2, but this idea became (a bit unfortunately) shelved, and the costume was instead based on her original 1994 arcade appearance.
- Orchid's famed "boobs flash" Ultimate in Killer Instinct (1994) appears to be inducing a fatal case of Stendhal's syndrome in all of her male opponents.
- Conversely, if the opposing character is another B. Orchid, she'll stomp her heels on the ground in a fit of frustrated jealousy.
- Throughout the KI games, Orchid is consistently portrayed as being the nemesis of the global megacorporation Ultratech. In KI 2013, this story angle is taken to the next level with the introduction of ARIA—the "woman" CEO of Ultratech and B. Orchid's ultimate adversary, with the colliding two alpha females unsurprisingly having a tiny little bit of enmity between them.
- The lyrics to Orchid's newest pop music song for KI 2013, titled "Touch Me And I'll Break Your Face", seem directed specially at ARIA (and the colorful line ♫ You'll never see me coming, b*tch! ♫ in particular), as they're singing into words Orchid's fearless defiance of Ultratech.
- During B. Orchid's intro for KI 2013, a voice from an unseen communication device is heard, saying "Orchid, confirm visual." and "What's your time estimate?". This is one of the secret agents of the Disavowed, her underground network engaging in global asymmetric warfare against ARIA.
- Orchid's mysterious ethnicity is a source of conjecture among KI's fans, who in the aggregate assert she's anything from Caucasian (KI 2013) to (Eur)asian (1996 KI comics) to a Latina and Black woman (KI2). However, the only official details about B. Orchid's private background is that she's American-born, that Jago is her younger half-brother; and that their father was a soldier named Jacob.
- With much of Orchid's personal life being classified as a state secret of the US government, her real name or true identity has yet to be revealed.
- During the pre-alpha development of Killer Instinct (1994), then under the placeholder "Brute Force", the Black Orchid's design wasn't yet finalized, and there was a cancelled and more generic prototype of Orchid called Roxxy or Wanda.
- Yes, Wanda.
- B. Orchid's animation while shape shifting into the "firecat" in Killer Instinct 2 is recycled from the first game. If watched closely, her sprite can briefly be seen to revert to its original 1994 arcade model.
- Orchid's character page at the official Killer Instinct Website
- Orchid's gameplay profile at Infil's The Complete Killer Instinct Guide
- Killer Instinct arcade playthrough (1994) - Playthrough of the original 1994 arcade game with B. Orchid
- Killer Instinct 2 playthrough (KI Classic) - Playthrough of Killer Instinct 2 with Orchid (1996 arcade)
- Orchid's 1994 arcade Ultimate Combo - Showcase of B. Orchid's original Ultimate Combo (for historical purposes)
- Orchid patch 3.7 advanced juggles (TDB Ki4Life) - Exhibition of advanced combo juggles with Orchid (KI 2013)
- CrazySkateNate (Orchid) vs. UA Bass (Cinder) - Video compilation of pro gamer matchups with B. Orchid (KI 2013)
|Killer Instinct (1994) Characters|
|Playable||Jago ·Black Orchid ·TJ Combo ·Glacius ·Chief Thunder ·Sabrewulf ·Spinal ·Cinder ·Riptor ·Fulgore|
|Killer Instinct 2/Gold Characters|
|Playable||Jago ·Black Orchid ·TJ Combo ·Glacius ·Sabrewulf ·Spinal ·Fulgore ·Maya ·Kim Wu ·Tusk|
|Killer Instinct (2013) Characters|
|Season 1||Jago ·Sabrewulf ·Glacius ·Thunder ·Sadira ·Orchid ·Spinal ·Fulgore ·Shadow Jago|
|Season 2||TJ Combo ·Maya ·Kan-Ra ·Riptor ·Omen ·Aganos ·Hisako ·Cinder ·ARIA|
|Season 3||Kim Wu ·Tusk ·Arbiter ·Rash ·Mira ·Gargos ·General RAAM ·Eyedol|
|Season 3+||Kilgore ·Shin Hisako ·Eagle|