— Maya's intro quote
Maya Fallegeros is a playable female character who was first introduced in the 1996 arcade game Killer Instinct 2. An Amazonian queen who hails from South America's rain forests, in Killer Instinct (2013) she is the last remaining member of a secretive cabal of monster hunters known as the Night Guard. Maya made her second debut as a playable character in the Season Two of Killer Instinct (2013), and was given a fraternal twin in Season Three through the new character Mira. Maya became the first of the original Killer Instinct 2 cast to be reintroduced to the franchise after twenty years, and was made available in KI 2013 on October 15th, 2015.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Killer Instinct 2
- 3 Killer Instinct (2013)
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Trivia
- 7 External Links
Biography[edit | edit source]
Appearance[edit | edit source]
In Killer Instinct 2, Maya appears as a South American Amazon with blond hair, who wears leopard-skin gloves, greaves, skirt, and a bra, and has several leather strings with pouches on her thighs. She also wears a bejeweled silver circlet on her forehead, and wields two wide-bladed steel daggers.
Maya's appearance receives a significant overhaul for Killer Instinct 2013. She no longer wears her leopard-skin clothing and instead dons an Incan-style golden armor set, consisting of a chest piece, shoulder guards, gauntlets, greaves, and boots. She has become noticeably taller, her skin tone is slightly darker than before and her hair is longer; now worn in tightly woven braids down her back. She also features a twisting burn mark running up her left leg, given to her courtesy of Cinder. Maya's new twin daggers, the golden blades called Temperance and Vengeance, are ancient Egyptian relics which represent light and shadow, and were confiscated from the ancient sorcerer Kan-Ra.
Maya's retro costume largely mirrors her original KI2 outfit, but with a few notable differences: the leather strings around her thighs are replaced by golden snake ornaments (very similar to her early concept art for KI2 back in the 1990s) which she also wears on her shins, forearms, and chest, and she now features a golden belt and circlet which both have a large emerald gem etched into them. Her hair is much shorter, but it retains the braids of her default appearance, and she wears golden snake-themed earrings. She still keeps Temperance and Vengeance from her default KI 2013 costume, rather than her original wide-bladed steel daggers.
Personality[edit | edit source]
— Maya's story mode description
Maya is a formidable young Amazon who stalks her enemies like a jungle huntress. She never hesitates to act in the face of dangers, can be stouthearted to the point of recklessness, and is known for referring to foes as her "prey". Because of the forbidden weapons Maya was forced to take up in self-defense, the ancient blades known as "Temperance" and "Vengeance", a grand struggle between light and darkness has begun within her soul.
Vengeance constantly provokes Maya's most ruthless side, urging her to slaughter all who stand in her way, while Temperance always entreats her heroic magnanimousness; buffering the dark temptation Vengeance elicits and preventing Maya from losing control over her passion. Wielding only one of the magic daggers can have an adverse effect on her psyche, especially when she only holds Vengeance, and so Maya tries to have both on hand at all times; to even out the cosmic opposites the two blades embody.
Because Temperance and Vengeance exert their influence in perfect balance with one another, it is their wielder's own inclination towards good or evil that determines which dagger will gain the upper hand. The twin mystic artifacts are therefore notorious for always revealing the true nature of those who wield their immense power.
Abilities & Powers[edit | edit source]
Maya has the body of a champion athlete and she boasts the dexterity of an acrobat to match. Moving deftly across the battlefield with Temperance and Vengeance at the ready, her agility allows her to evade opponents with ease, only to close in without warning and tear them to shreds in a whirlwind of steel when the opening presents itself. In KI 2013, she can also hurl Temperance and Vengeance at her enemies as magical projectiles, causing the daggers to accumulate mystical powers that increases their attack strength and enables them to break through any foe's defenses. Maya also may link the twin blades together by their hilts, turning them into a powerful double-bladed weapon called "Enmity" that is twice as dangerous. Temperance and Vengeance also have telepathically linked Maya to Kan-Ra, the nefarious sorcerer who has brought the golden daggers with him from ancient Egypt, allowing the two enemies to keep track of each other by experiencing visions about one another.
As the daughter to one of the original Night Guard's most esteemed hunters, Maya has also been well-trained in various Brazilian martial arts as well as ancient Incan combat tactics, which is seen most noticeably in the swiftness and power of her legwork and her predator-style fighting techniques.
Killer Instinct 2[edit | edit source]
Story[edit | edit source]
Made queen of the land of Amazonia after her part in banishing the dark lord Gargos. Cast out by her tribe as Gargos returns, Maya must vanquish him to regain her throne.
Extended Story[edit | edit source]
The return of the tyrannical Gargos to the ancient world is welcomed by few. Among his foremost adversaries are the Amazons of the great jungle, whose recently-crowned Queen, Maya, earned great respect for her part in the original banishment of the demonic warlords. Now that one of them has returned to lay his curse on the world, Maya's tribes folk cast her from the realm. Until the threat is permanently dealt with, she is forbidden to return.
Endings[edit | edit source]
Kill Tusk[edit | edit source]
Maya saves her home land from Gargos. Life in the rain forest can proceed as normal. Triumphant, Maya returns home on her own to the jungle realm of Amazonia. The enchantments of the queen keep the tribe well defended, and although lonely, she rules well.
Don't Kill Tusk[edit | edit source]
Maya saves her home land from Gargos. Life in the rain forest can proceed as normal. The threat has been destroyed, and Maya has earned a new admirer she quite takes a fancy to... The two are soon married, and with the protection of Maya's goddess, their reign is a long and peaceful one.
Stage[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Jungle
Killer Instinct (2013)[edit | edit source]
Maya was the 2nd character to be released for the Season Two of Killer Instinct (2013), and became the first of the original Killer Instinct 2 cast to be reintroduced to the franchise after twenty years.
Story[edit | edit source]
A headstrong warrior with a will of steel, in battle Maya can always be found on the front lines charging in with her daggers, Temperance and Vengeance. When Ultratech raids the hidden temple of the Night Guard and begins to loot the dangerous artifacts that were sealed within, Maya takes up the golden daggers known as Temperance and Vengeance, the ancient blades of the mad sorcerer Kan-Ra, and sets out to destroy the horrors Ultratech again unleashed unto the world.
Extended Story[edit | edit source]
Temperance & Vengeance:
- Main article: Temperance and Vengeance
Novella[edit | edit source]
Chapter 6 — Shadows at Dawn:
- Main article: Shadows at Dawn
Shadow Lords[edit | edit source]
(1/2) - before fighting Mira
It is Maya's sworn duty to protect the world from the many horrors lurking beneath its shadows. The Night Guard have been busy of late, aiding the Alliance and hunting horrors that attempt to capitalize on the distraction the war has caused. For several months, rumors have surfaced of a new horror plaguing villages across the globe. Locals have been known to call her the "blood-witch". (Mira appears before Maya, and the sisters bitterly confront each other.)
(2/2) - after fighting Mira
Evil has been abolished in this corner of the Earth, and Maya can return to the Citadel knowing she has done her part. The "blood-witch" Mira has been slain. Though Maya's heart weighs heavy, she knows she has put an end to a great evil.
Stage[edit | edit source]
- Main article: City of Dawn
The City of Dawn is a high resolution remake of Maya's Killer Instinct 2 stage, Jungle. When an Ultra Combo is performed in City of Dawn, lightning begins to strike the Mesoamerican pyramids and the dam causing them to explode and leaving them in ruins.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
— Maya activating her Instinct Mode
— Maya's Season Two taunt
— Maya's Season Two taunt
— Maya's Season Three taunt
— Maya's victory quote
— Maya hunting after Spinal during the events of Shadow Lords
— Maya confronts her vampiric sibling, Mira
— After striking down her (former) sister with Temperance & Vengeance (Shadow Lords dialogue)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Maya's new music theme for Killer Instinct (2013), titled "Temperance & Vengeance" after the eponymous twin daggers that she wields, is a vocalized remix of her classic Killer Instinct 2 theme called "Jungle". It was composed by Mick Gordon and features the vocals of Ali Edwards.
- During her first reveal for KI 2013, Iron Galaxy described Maya as "Incan inspired" and "of Latin origin", and succinctly characterized her as a "warrior, hunter, badass" and a "monster hunter extraordinaire".
- The Killer Instinct Novella mentions that Maya's native language is Portuguese, verifying that she and her fraternal twin Mira have a Pardo Brazilian ethnic background. Mira's backstory also reveals that both sisters have the motto of their family, "Sangue do Meu Sangue" (Portuguese for "Blood of My Blood"), tattooed "somewhere" on their bodies.
- In a twist of irony, Mira was given the same body measurements for Killer Instinct (2013) that Maya had in Killer Instinct 2. Another twist is that even though Maya's appearance takes more after the African ancestry of the Fallegeros than Mira's, she is the only of the two sisters with the natural blond hair and blue eyes of this Brazilian family's European heritage.
- Maya's victory cinematic in KI 2013 shows her on the verge of slaying her foe in cold blood, but she restrains herself. This is an in-game reference to her story, which reveals that Maya's blades, Temperance and Vengeance, wage war with each other for control of her heart; with Vengeance inciting Maya to bloodlust and Temperance urging her to show mercy and moderation. Maya's ability to resist Vengeance's dark temptations reveals Temperance has the greater sway over her morality.
- This is illustrated by the final screenshot of Maya's victory pose, which shows Temperance's light shining brilliantly and the shadows of Vengeance quietly receding. This moment of truth causes the two daggers to uncover that Maya has a righteous, noble soul.
- Temperance and Vengeance, the twin ceremonial blades dating to the age of ancient Egypt's religion, are "Weighing the Heart" of whoever holds them; thereby exposing their wielder's true character to the world. This implies these two artifacts are somehow linked to the ancient Egyptian goddess Ma'at.
- Maya's name pronunciation was anglicized (MAY-ya) in Killer Instinct 2. This was later fixed in Killer Instinct (2013) where her name is pronounced (MAH-ya) properly. However, if the player choose Chris Sutherland (Classic) as the announcer her name will still be anglicized like in KI2.
- On April 9th 2017, former KI designer Kevin Bayliss posted his original 1995 concept artwork of Maya on his Twitter account (which he took down the same day). It showed a design largely identical to Maya's final appearance in Killer Instinct 2, except that her attire was made of snakeskin rather than the pelt of a leopard. She also wielded a snake-themed staff or scepter instead of steel daggers, and her early concept names were "Amber" and "Cobra".
- Interestingly, Maya's retro costumes in KI 2013 all feature snake-themed golden ornaments on her thighs, shins, forearms and chest, in what seems to be a throwback or tribute by Iron Galaxy to Bayliss' original concept artwork.
- In KI 2013, Maya will sometimes yell "Cobra!" when performing special command moves with the Vengeance dagger.
- The large burn mark visible on Maya's left leg was caused by Cinder, during the same Ultratech raid on the City of Dawn which forced her to take up Temperance and Vengeance.
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Maya's character page at the official Killer Instinct Website
- Maya's gameplay profile at Infil's The Complete Killer Instinct Guide
Media[edit | edit source]
- Maya's trailer - Maya's official reveal for Killer Instinct (2013)
- Maya's Ultimate - First reveal of Maya's new Ultimate Combo for KI 2013
- Pink Diamond (Maya) vs. BH Thompxson (Jago) - Video compilation of pro gamer matchups with Maya (KI 2013)
|Killer Instinct 2/Gold Characters|
|Playable||Jago ·Black Orchid ·TJ Combo ·Glacius ·Sabrewulf ·Spinal ·Fulgore ·Maya ·Kim Wu ·Tusk|
|Killer Instinct (2013) Characters|
|Season 1||Jago ·Sabrewulf ·Glacius ·Thunder ·Sadira ·Orchid ·Spinal ·Fulgore ·Shadow Jago|
|Season 2||TJ Combo ·Maya ·Kan-Ra ·Riptor ·Omen ·Aganos ·Hisako ·Cinder ·ARIA|
|Season 3||Kim Wu ·Tusk ·Arbiter ·Rash ·Mira ·Gargos ·General RAAM ·Eyedol|
|Season 3+||Kilgore ·Shin Hisako ·Eagle|